Saturday, November 12, 2011

What a week!

We've had quite the week this week. Last week Friday night I felt like I was having more contractions than normal, so I started timing them to make sure I wasn't having more than 6 an hour (per Dr.'s orders). They stopped after a few hours, but then the same thing happened again on Tuesday night. I changed our Dr.'s appt. from Thursday to Wed. so we could go in earlier and get checked out. My cervical length was half of what it was the appointment we had 12 days before, so they decided to put me into the hospital to monitor my contractions and see if they could get them to slow.
I got admitted Wed. around noon, and they took all precautions in case I would deliver. They gave me steroid shots so that the babies' lungs would develop more quickly, and they tried to give me magnesium, which they say protects the babies neurological development (if you get to 32 weeks they don't even always give you it, but since I was a few days before 32 weeks they tried it). Well....that medication was the worst thing ever. They started giving me it through an IV, and within minutes it dropped my blood pressure to 70/38, which made me miserable and come so close to passing out. My mom was with me at the time, which I was so thankful for...just really scary! So they took me off the magnesium, and then gave me some other meds to stop the contractions. They've been working, so that's been great. I still have a few contractions here and there, but they're not doing anything to progress labor, so that's a huge relief.
The neonatologist (one of the Dr.'s who would take care of the babies after they come) came in to talk to us on Wed. night, and told us about all of the risks involved with 31 week, 5 day babies, and it was just scary to hear them talking about some of these things that could happen. I know more than likely our babies would be just fine now, but they would have a really long road in front of them with eating and breathing and so many other things that could happen. It made me do a lot of "what if's". I know they have to be really honest with us about these things, but it's still scary to think about MY babies having to go through some of those things. Life is so precious. The Dr. said at this point every day they stay inside of me shaves off 2 - 3 days from them being in the NICU, so the longer the better.
The good news is that yesterday (Friday), at 32 weeks, they let us go home! They said the contractions had slowed enough and I wasn't progressing, so if we were comfortable going home, we could. So I've been home laying on the couch and in bed since yesterday, but it's amazing to be back here. Now I just have to watch my contractions really closely, so that's a little scary....to know that I'm the only one monitoring myself. I'm still on the pills to control contractions, so I'm praying those continue to help!
Tyler is with my mom, which is good, and I know is more relaxing for me. But I've just been missing him SO much. I just cried on Wed. when they told me I had to go to the hospital b/c my mom was staying at our house with Tyler and I thought I was going to get to be with him for two days in a row, which was more than it's been in a long time. But instead I had to sit in a hospital bed. Being away from him is one of the hardest things during this pregnancy. He's still my baby, and I just want to be able to take care of him, or at least be with him.
As for the triplets, they are doing good! They're weighing 4 lbs 5 oz, 4 lbs 8 oz, and 4 lbs 9 oz according to the ultrasound we had on Wed. While it's good they are getting so big, the Dr.'s keep telling me that gestational age means more than the weights of the babies. As for me, I'm getting so enormous, it's hard for me to even get off of the couch. The Dr. told me one placenta (I have three in there) can weigh as much as half or the full amount of the baby at birth. Plus, all the babies have a lot of fluid around them....more than most singleton babies, which they're telling me is a really good thing. If I think about everything inside of this belly too much, I'm positive I am going to just pop. It's all such a miracle. I'm on strict bed rest now, which means I can get up to eat, go to the bathroom (which is like twice an hour!), and shower every once in awhile. Otherwise I'm down. Evan has been waiting on me for a day now, and I'm so thankful I have him and that he can be home with me this weekend.
Please continue to pray that the babies stay in there for a while yet! The longer the better! And please pray for peace for Evan and I through this whole process of bringing these little boys into the world. We know we're so blessed to be able to parent them, but we're just so concerned about them getting here safely now.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update in detail! I've been thinking of you and praying for you daily! Take care of yourself and rest up. Call if you need ANYTHING! I will be there in a jiff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking about you alot heather!! I ask shelly about how u are doing all the time :) you are doing such an amazing job!!
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking about you guys Heather, you are doing an amazing job, and we will continue to pray for you, your little ones and yes the rest of the family :) Keep listening to those doctors orders and take care of yourself. Glad you have the help of your mom and others to make it a little easier.
    Kristina & Troy Sprik and Family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the update! I can totally understand how you feel being away from Tyler. It's hard to be away from your little boy! For me thats been the hardest with having a baby is not getting to be there full time for Gavin. It does get easier and they will adjust to the situation. I will keep praying for you all and that you can keep growing those cute little babies as long as God intends! Praying for peace for you all as you walk (and lay) through this time!
    Amanda Swett

    ReplyDelete