Saturday, February 4, 2012

Some hard things...

The hardest part about having triplets is what I expected it would be....never having enough time to spend with each baby. I feel like I don't get a lot of snuggle time, and a lot of one on one time with each of my boys, and I hate that! When I had just Tyler, I would sit hold him constantly, talk and sing to him, read to him, nurse him and stare into his sweet little eyes the whole time... Now I pick up whoever is fussing, settle them down, and by that time someone else is fussing, so I put the first baby down and pick up the second one...and it kind of goes on like that all day. Then there are the times (frequently) when a baby or two is fussing, and at the same time Tyler starts frantically begging for me to play with him downstairs (away from the babies) b/c he knows I'm going to pick one of them up. And when it is feeding time, I feel like I feed, put down, feed, put down, feed, put down. And when I'm feeding one, I'm watching the other two to make sure no one is spitting, or I'm feeding two at a time, or I'm feeding one and holding a pacifier in the other ones mouth. Or I'm doing all of that AND trying to keep Tyler occupied ("Tyler, show me your trains" or "make me a giraffe out of play doh" or "get out your colors", etc.) There's just not a lot of nursing and snuggling and loving one on one with these babies. And I hate that. That was the part about having a baby that I really, really loved. On top of all of that, I just feel like I don't handle things as well b/c I'm usually sleep deprived.

I knew this was going to be crazy, and it really is. I have to have snacks in my fridge I can grab really fast for myself (who has time to peel an orange or make a sandwich?) so I can eat when I'm hungry....which is often with all this nursing. I am keeping up my milk supply for about two babies. I honestly think my body would produce enough for all three babies, but that would require me to feed two babies at each feeding and then pump after each feeding. Sometimes I just pump while I'm feeding a baby or two with bottles, and then use that milk for the next feeding and do it all over. I had really good intentions of pumping after each feeding, but even when I try to do it, something comes up and I just can't find the time, so I figure it's not worth the stress to try to fit one more thing in.

I am not trying to complain, but these are just some of the things I'm struggling with lately. I also keep thinking about how these will be our last babies, so I'm trying to soak up every stage of them being babies. So I want this crazy, not sleeping through the night phase to end, but at the same time I don't, b/c I know it's the last time for us to have tiny babies in the house. Such a weird feeling!

On the flip side, though, I do feel incredibly blessed. I would so much rather have too many babies than not enough. I'm thankful God gave us more babies than we expected, rather than not allow us to have kids or something else. These struggles I'm facing are minor in the big scheme, and it's a small price to pay to have these four amazing little boys. The best part about all of this is that not only has He given us these little guys, but He is blessing us immensely through our families and the community around us, and He's already taught us so much about giving and receiving, sacrificing and trust. I don't have a ton of time to reflect on all that these days, but I do know that what is happening in our lives is God's perfectly orchestrated will. Every blessing we've received through this has so very obviously come from Him. And we are beyond thankful. "The Lord has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy." Psalm 126:3

Here are some random pictures....

This kid knows how to eat a cupcake....frosting only, then ask for another one. :)

Andrew, Micah, Derek

Last week when my mom was here the babies were all fussing, and we wanted to watch "The Batchelor." I know, I know, we're totally shallow. Anyway, to get the babies to be quiet, we turned all of their chairs around, and let them watch, too. Let's just say....they liked it.


....especially Derek...


We've been getting more smiles out of the babies now (and it's not just gas!)...which is SO fun! Here's little Andrew...


Micah with his double chin. :)


Both of my grandma's came up for the day this past week, which was so fun! I feel so blessed that they are able to come see me and take care of my babies... They also brought me food, cleaned up my house, etc. I told them they can come any time! :)


1 comment:

  1. Love seeing those babies so awake! and I love that they enjoyed the Bachelor. What a precious smile from Andrew! We continue to keep you guys in our prayers-that you may find time for rest and that everyone stays healthy over there! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete