Friday, September 28, 2012

A Day in the Life of...

I just have to capture the insanity of this day to remember forever.  It all started at 5:40 a.m. when Derek woke up for the day (actually I was up also at 3:30 a.m. with Andrew).  The other two got up around 6, and I started doing the usual feeding/changing routine.  Then Tyler got up, and he was naughty from the second he got out of bed (how does that even happen??  Doesn't he need time to wake up?!).  By 8 a.m. he had already been in 4 time outs. The first two were from him pushing, then hitting a baby.  He was mad he was getting punished for that so in the kitchen he threw an entire huge can of powder cappucinno stuff on the floor (never mind the fact that I LOVE that stuff!).  I told him he had to clean it up and I went to get the broom.   He slammed open the door to the entry way (just to prove he was really mad) which hit the closet door of the closet I was in, which hit me (hard) in the head.  So now I have no cappucinno mix, a bruise on my forehead, and most importantly, I hadn't even had my coffee yet!  Did I mention I'm trying to watch three 10 month old, crawling, get into everything babies while all of this is going on?  Also by 8 a.m. I had already said to the babies (mostly Micah this morning!), "Don't try to suck on the floor, honey."  And "no, no....don't bang your head against the wall (over and over and over...).  Then, "no sucking on the toilet seat, sweetie."  OH. BOY.

I have a sweet volunteer who comes over a morning every week, and today she came around 8:45.  At that time Tyler was running around the basement totally naked b/c he insisted on taking all of his clothes off, and I couldn't do anything about it b/c I was changing a baby or something.  I can't even remember anymore why I couldn't stop this. 

This afternoon went a little better.  But there was never a time when all four kids were sleeping so I never got a total, baby free break, which makes the day seem long.  Then at 5 tonight I had to take Micah to go get fitted for his helmet, which was like a two hour long appointment, which involved mostly waiting and trying to distract Micah while they fit this thing to his head.  We start gradually having him wear that tomorrow (might be nice for those days he feels like banging his head on the wall!).  As a side note...while I was at this appointment, Micah just did not act like himself.  He acted like he missed his brothers and didn't know who to play with.  He just was not nearly as content as he usually is.  When I got home, Evan said Derek was the exact same way.  When I got home, I stuck all three in the tub together, and life was back to normal.   It's so crazy how much they love being with each other!

Tyler is currently screaming (it started off as loud singing, and now it's turned to loud, fake crying) in his bed, and I'm off to get a glass or four of wine.  :) 

2 comments:

  1. Evan and I were just talking about you guys the other day-no idea how you do it. One 2 1/2 yr old and one crawling baby are more than enough for us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Heather! I'm so glad that someone else has days like me! :) We both have crazy households right now, and some days I'm not sure how I'll get through the day ... and my kids are even in daycare all day! Yet, we both we know that we have been truly blessed. Hang in there - and enjoy that glass (or glasses) of wine.

    ReplyDelete